Friday, July 23, 2010

La luz del mundo...

Jesus said,
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12

During my first week in Costa Rica, some of us went on a night hike through the forest with a naturalist. The point was to see the forest in a different way - new creatures and insects are around at night as opposed to the daytime. This was not one of my favorite adventures because 1. Bugs scare me 2. It was really dark. Early on in the hike, the naturalist had the group turn off our flashlights in order to see glow-in-the-dark fungus on a tree. You don't really appreciate true darkness until you've been in the rainforest at night with no light at all. We could see absolutely nothing. Not even a hand in front of our faces. After about one minute of complete darkness, I was freaked out. I was desperate for some kind of light.

Last night as I was walking to my room in the dark (with a flashlight) I was reminded of the verse above in John. Jesus is the light of the world. Without him we have no light. This brought a whole new meaning to the verse after I'd experienced true darkness. I'm so thankful for The Light in my life and in this world.

En Español:
"Yo soy la luz del mundo. El que me sigue no andará en tinieblas, sino que tendrá la luz de la vida."

No comments:

Post a Comment